Updated: Jan 3
"The Rosary is the most beautiful and the richest of all prayers...it is the prayer that touches most the heart of the Mother of God. Pray it every day! - Pope Saint Pius X
The Church celebrates the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God each year on January 1. What better way to begin the new year than by honoring the Blessed Virgin Mary and her Holy Rosary? Now is the perfect time to pick up those beads and begin (or continue) to pray the Rosary.
Did you know that Our Lady imparted to St. Dominic and Blessed Alan de La Roche fifteen promises to those who recite the Holy Rosary? In honor of this holy feast day we'd like to share these promises with you.
1. Whosoever shall faithfully serve me by the recitation of the Rosary shall receive signal graces.
(A signal grace is some sort of sign, signal, or interior feeling that a prayer has been answered or a direction you have been seeking has been given.)
2. I promise my special protection and the greatest graces to all those who shall recite the Rosary.
(The Blessed Mother is the channel of all God's Grace to us. Mary promises that she will especially watch over those who pray the Rosary.) 3. The Rosary shall be a powerful armor against hell, it will destroy vice, decrease sin and defeat heresies. 4. It will cause good works to flourish; it will obtain for souls the abundant mercy of God; it will withdraw the hearts of men from the love of the world and its vanities, and will lift them to the desire for Eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means! 5. The soul which recommends itself to me by the recitation of the Rosary shall not perish.
(Our Lady promises that anyone who calls on her implicitly by praying the Rosary will be saved from hell.)
6. Whosoever shall recite the Rosary devoutly, applying himself to the consideration of its Sacred Mysteries, shall never be conquered by misfortune. God will not chastise him in His justice, he shall not perish by an unprovided death; if he be just he shall remain in the grace of God, and become worthy of Eternal Life.
7. Whoever shall have a true devotion for the Rosary shall not die without the Sacraments of the Church. 8. Those who are faithful to recite the Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the Light of God and the plenitude of His Graces; at the moment of death they shall participate in the Merits of the Saints in Paradise. 9. I shall deliver from purgatory those who have been devoted to the Rosary. 10. The faithful children of the Rosary shall merit a high degree of Glory in Heaven.
(The Rosary draws us closer to God. The closer one is to God while living on earth, the closer that person will be to Him in Heaven.) 11. You shall obtain all you ask of me by recitation of the Rosary. 12. All those who propagate the Holy Rosary shall be aided by me in their necessities.
(Our Lady emphasizes Her Maternal care by promising many graces to those who promote the Rosary.)
13. I have obtained from my Divine Son that all the advocates of the Rosary shall have for intercessors the entire Celestial Court during their life and at the hour of death. 14. All who recite the Rosary are my Sons, and brothers of my Only Son Jesus Christ. 15. Devotion to my Rosary is a great sign of predestination. (Faithful devotion to the Rosary is a good indicator that the devotee is on the path to Heaven.)
Indeed, this simple yet profound prayer is a storehouse of countless blessings! Great saints, popes and holy men and women have attested to the super abundance of grace obtained through faithful devotion to the Rosary. If you are new to praying the Rosary try starting with a single decade each day and work toward praying a full Rosary. Invite friends and family to join you. You will be amazed at the peace and grace it brings you!
For information on how to pray the rosary you may go to the USCCB's website.
Debbie Staresinic is a Catholic speaker and author, and is the founder of On a Mission to Love and @tobrosary She is a graduate of the Theology of the Body Institute in Philadelphia. Debbie is a wife, mother and grandmother. To learn more about On a Mission to Love and to purchase her books and Catholic gifts you may go here. Follow Debbie on Instagram and Facebook.